Sunday, June 17, 2007

[EUROBOUT CONTINENTAL CAROUSEL - 1984] DAY 8

Travel Notes
August 18, 1984 - Day 18
AUSTRIA

Vienna, Austria

A bit of a rude awakening.  Over  breakfast we compared impressions re the rooms' size (small and narrow) and the beds. (HARD!!) 

At the risk of having my words given a malicious slant by the biddies in the group, I wondered aloud if ours was a twin bed, how big were the single beds assigned to Earl and Bart? Because the idea of room being any smaller than those of the twin-sharing people have boggles the mind.

I have resolved to stop listing conversion rates and expenses.  There are far too many of them to track!

Vienna, Austria - City Tour

I nodded almost constantly throughout guide's commentary, and stared like a provincial at all the sights. Seriously, I could hardly tell where to put my eyes, it seemed like we passed a point of interest every hundred yards or so.

The guide seemed to be quite appreciative of all the audience reactions she got from me, and says I'm very well-read.  Serves me right for reading the Time-Life books thoroughly before leaving home!

Vienna Woods, Austria

From the city to the countryside, specifically the Weinerwald or Vienna Woods. We changed guides, and entered into wine country.

We were taken to the world's largest underground lake, the Seegrotte. It was formed by underground spring and river flooding out a gypsum mine.

Begad, but it was COLD in the tunnels.  Very atmospheric, the perfect background to learn that Hitler used the place to develop the Messerschmidt engines for the Luftwaffe during WWII.  Buried under  the earth, it's really quite the perfect place for secret research!

Once back in the light of day, stopped by the ancestral house of the Liechtenstein family.  Yes, *that * Liechtenstein family.  They own a  thin and narrow castle, but very impressive for all that. As we were touring the castle perimeter, we were asked to note that the toilet open out over the kitchen vegetable garden -- instant fertilizer!

Onward to the oldest Cistercian monastery in Austria, if not the world.  It is as perfect a place for prayer as could be desired --  lovely, classic architecture, peaceful and serene.

In a place of honor in an alcove beside the prayer walk was a  beautiful statue of the Virgin that looks as if posed naturally on first glance. She's carrying the Christ Child in her arms.

As the youngest and theoretically the most flexible member of the group, I was clled upon to recreate the pose, as per directions from our  guide.  Turns out, the psoe is not natural at all! One's knees must bend, the torso is slightly turned, and the neck is inclined forward. Hard to describe accurately, but I assure you that it hurts to hold it for more than several seconds!

The reason for this difficult pose? To illustrate the mystery of the Virgin Birth : the impossible becoming possible. For myself, I pity the model, whoever she was! It must have been excruciating to pose!

Vienna, Austria - Hungarian Dinner

I managed to generate some comment when I came down dressed to the nines for the optional night out.  A pretty dress, heeled shoes, and make-up, even.  Dinner  was Hungarian goulash with pasta and white wine, and I am getting to like white wine with a vengeance!  I was seated with the rest of the ladies at one table and the guide, Earl and Bart at the other; all good-looking men, mind and therefore a treat to observe. 

There were, naturally, Hungarian musicians with the dinner . “The best in Vienna!“ as per the tour guide.  Their repertoire consisted of slow pieces and requests, a goodly selection.  Bart suggested that Sylvia and I request “the Chicken Dance“, of all things, which suggestion was overturned vehemently!  

By coincidence, Frank and Bertha, taking the evening at leisure, walked into the same restaurant we were in!

It was certainly  the wine talking when I asked Earl to lend me his arm up the stairs and across the road to the bus, but on the other hand, I did have heeled shoes : not a good time to have an accident!

Vienna, Austria -- the Kursalon

Much to my surprise and delight, the city guide led me out to open the dancing!  Amazing, me with two left feet and never having waltzed before.  The guide was charming and put me at ease quickly enough, and then had another dance with Jun Galang.  I was urged to ask Earl on to the floor, but he begged off  with claims the he couldn't dance.  Bart retorted that *he* was saving energy for the bus!

Vienna, Austria the Prater Wheel

The Prater is the largest ferris wheel I've ever seen. It was made famous in the movie “The Third Man“, and is a HUGE contraption, slow and sedate, and allowing a marvelous view of Vienna from the top.

Among the married couples and those with more experience of life, there was a very lively discussion on the possibilities open for a couple stuck at the top.  This is easily understood when one realizes that the carriages are like train coaches, with benches to either side.  Apparently there used to be curtains in the carriages, per guide, but these were removed as potential fire hazards -- no doubt they also made things very conducive for romance as well!

Once again, the guide used me as a prop for the demonstration on how to kiss a lady's hand.  There are, apparently, varying degrees, depending on the level of intimacy a man hopes to establish.

Once we were back at the hotel, I thanked the guide with a kiss on the cheek for a memorable evening - my first waltzing partner, and in Vienna, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment